Sunday, September 28, 2008



As the leaves turn and the air carries a cool crisp, it becomes evident that Autumn is upon us. It is such a nostalgic time of year for me. As most people reflect on their lives during the Christmas season in preparation for the new year commencing, I become most reminiscent in the Fall. Perhaps it is the smell of leaves gathered in the yards awaiting a fate of fire, or smell of apples and cinnamon baked into the goodness of a pie. As the summer sun fades into the Autumn night, the air ushers in the ghosts of my adolescence. The nights playing flashlight tag with neighbors, knowing the possibility of a scare was one dark shadow away. The chance that I might stay up just a little later one night, catching an episode of my favorite night time TV show horror host. Carefully planning and executing the most perfect Halloween costume; one that would help maximize the maximum candy yield. As I grew older, my Autumn memories blended into first loves, high school football games, my first semester at college; miles away from the memories of the neighborhood game of tag. My memories now are tied to the experiences of my children. Snuggling with them behind the warmth and glow of an evening bonfire, peeling apples for our own pie. Carving pumpkins and yes, still planning that perfect Halloween costume.

2 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

While I have no desire to move back to the cold places North of the Mason - Dixion Line, I do miss the change of the leaves...

Lori said...

I love all those things about the Fall!
Thanks for the comment on my blog a little while back and for the Vaseline tip! I tried it, but I think it was too late and didn't work, plus they were boiling in the 80' heat! lol Now it's freezing, but it doesn't matter because they've been replaced with plastic ones! :)