Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I have been trumped...

I do not succumb to defeat easily, and I am not totally ready to throw the towel in, but I am afraid my Halloween Party, this year, will be a bust! For the past 5 years I have been holding a Halloween costume party for our friends and family. It started out as a little soiree of about 15 kids dancing, banging on a pinata, and generally getting hyped up on a tremendous amount of sugar. However, the little event has grown and has turned into a highly anticipated event. I have jell-o body parts, many tasty, gruesome treats, a magician, great adult beverages, I could go on and on. I was eagerly anticipating this year's event, as my children are at new school and were/are very anxious to impress their new friends. I cleverly wrote a Halloween poem for the invites and hand addressed each and everyone. Then in Monday's mail, this...

A professionally done invite to another party. A party with catered food, a hot chocolate bar, nail BOO-tique, and haunted maze. A invite, not to mention the party that puts my little crafty poem to shame. Clearly I cannot compete on this level. 1. I have no warehouse to hold my shin-dig 2. I have no haunted nail painting ability- what should I expect with this, Libby Lu on acid? 3. I take great pride in my pigs in a blanket wrapped up like mummies, no catering here.

So do I proceed with my own pitiful party with my head held high or admit defeat and hope not to mortify my children in my rendition of the Monster Mash?

3 comments:

Angela said...

Is it the same day? If not (or if so) I say have the party you planned... it's not always how many decorations and things are planned, but about the time spent with friends... I bet everyone loves your invite b/c it is homemade!

TD said...

Thank goodness it is not the same day! I thankfully have learned to do ours a couple weekends before Halloween.

Lori said...

Oh girlfriend, you NEED to have that party!!! You need to go on and do all the things that have made it fabulous in the past and I'm sure your children are so looking forward to it! carry on with your tradition, do the best you can, let them help...that's what it's all about!! :)
Thanks for letting me know about your blog too!